Thursday, July 30, 2009

Moving- Phase three


finding a job.

Allow me to be completely honest here. Answering questions about this topic makes my stomach hurt and my hands sweat. I'm moving without a job, something I said I would NEVER do. I'm giving up a GREAT job, something millions of people right now would practically kill for. I'm sure many people think I have gone crazy. I sometimes think so too.

My dream to one day own a bed and breakfast reverberates in me every day. I can't ignore it. I know that it is years away but I need to start working towards that goal. So let me just get this all out in a FAQ format:

Q. What are you going to do when you move?
A. First of all I need to gain experience in hospitality. I would love to work in a B&B or a really nice hotel. No job is below me. I would really like to start as a housekeeper and work my way up. I want to learn ALL aspects of running a hotel/B&B/Inn.

Q. How are you going to get a job in this economy?
A. Luckily there are hundreds of hotels in Columbus and daily job postings for them on craigslist. Finding a job in Columbus is a lot like finding an apartment in L.A., it is a full time job and it's practically impossible to do if you're not there.

Q. So you won't be using your degree.
A. Well... Actually I will be designing a whole business and Bed & Breakfast. Also I would like to make art again along with creating a handmade housewares line. I'm also going to be actively seeking freelance design work and possibly teaching some art classes. My degree is a piece of paper but my education taught me how to think creatively and problem solve, something I will always be using.

Q. How are you going to finance your own business?
A. There is still a lot of research I need to do before I can answer this accurately. I'm sure that it will be some mix of personal savings, loans, grants, and possibly investors. Point is, this is not some little fantasy to me. I'm very dedicated in making it work and there will be TONS of research done before I jump into it.

Something that I have learned about myself in the past two years is that I'm a very hard worker. I am completely aware of the challenges ahead of me and I'm going to work just as much as I hope (which is a lot).

No comments: