Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baked Oatmeal



This was always my favorite breakfast when I worked at Camp Luz. Since those long ago summers I have made this on several occasions and have always received a good reaction. I like it best with fresh blueberries but it is fine on it's own.

BAKED OATMEAL:
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 3 cups quick cooking oats
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Beat together oil and sugar. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, beat well. Stir in oatmeal. Pour into a lightly greased pie pan. Refrigerate overnight (I am all about skipping this step but it is really necessary here, at least let it sit for a few hours. Ideally you want the oatmeal to have soaked up most of the liquid).

2. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle on the brown sugar and cinnamon.

3. Bake in preheated oven 35 minutes or until firm. Best served hot.

No comments: