Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Mark and I had a relaxing weekend full of sleeping in, cooking, and movie watching. Here is a summery of what we did.

Saturday morning- I made my yummy waffles. Then we took some things to Goodwill to donate and I found this lovely colander. Mark is happy to finally replace the strainer with something more functional. I was also lucky enough to grab these measuring cups that I have been eyeing for oh about a year now. I spent the rest of the day putting together Kristen's birthday box and watching "The Business of being Born".



Saturday evening- Mark used one of his favorite French cookbooks to put together this hearty meal of pork loin, mushrooms in white wine reduction sauce, parsley potatoes, and apple sauce.




Sunday morning- We stopped to see the animals up for adoption on our way to the farmers market. This cute dog with the funniest little underbite caught my eye. He was hanging out with the cats and didn't seam to mind. I had to remind Mark of our other two cats to get him from adopted yet another. He has a weakness for kittens, then again, who doesn't.




Sunday afternoon- This is our new neighbors turtle. I think she looks so elegant stretching her long neck in the sun.



Sunday night- Mary playing Mark at chess. Ok, so I was the one that actually played and we had to kick Mary off of the table cause she kept pawing at the pieces. Mark won the game, but I put up a pretty good fight. The whole thing took around an hour and a half.





Monday morning- Making Quiche et Onions, a tradition Quiche from Alsace (the region of France where some of my ancestors are from). I substituted mushrooms for ham, probably not the best idea. It looked wonderful but tasted pretty bland. The next Quiche will be better.



Monday afternoon- Mark working on a painting...



while I work on sewing...



and Oscar works on getting my thread.




Monday afternoon- Mark's painting finished. He has such natural talent. He can go months without painting and then do this in two hours.



Monday afternoon- Stuffed animal giraffe is finished and ready to be shipped to Denver for baby Solomon who is only a few weeks away from being born.



Monday night- Mark made chicken dumplings and stir fry for dinner. We ate it while watching "King Corn".



Monday night- I made Julia Child's best brownies ever which turned out pretty good but not my favorite recipe yet.

No comments: