Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pumpkin Party






It may still be 90 degrees here but we are doing our best to celebrate fall. We went to Andrea's last weekend to carve pumpkins. It was my first time carving a pumpkin and I thought it would be way harder than it was. I did a simple design (the leaf pumpkin) but my next pumpkin will be much more extravagant now that I get how it works. Darren did the awesome pumpkin that looks like a monster made out of rain drops.

We saved all of our seeds and Andrea roasted them while I whipped up Pumpkin Pie. By "whipped up" I actually mean very carefully assembling my first pie. I have helped my mother make these in the past but this was my first time attempting it on my own. I was very nervous about the crust because I have heard that they can be tricky (and it was) but it turned out all right. Now I'm going to try an apple pie.

Mark has begun reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan who has helped shaped our beliefs about what and how we eat. So keeping that in mind we decided to make our own whipped cream. Mark blending cream, a tiny bit of powdered sugar, nutmeg, and maple syrup in the food processor to come up with the frothy topping.

Also the little bat was a gift from Joey from NYC. It reminded him of my animals. You can see more the the artists animals by clicking the title of this post.

No comments: